When it’s FREEZING outside, I love to do what any girl likes to do… curl up on my couch, knit, and play around on Pinterest while the fireplace cooks me to a temperature a few degrees hotter than necessary.
Yep, that was me on Saturday morning… until I stumbled upon a new recipe on Pinterest that I’d been wanting to try.
Because it seemed saucy and cheesy of the Mexican genre, I knew that it would be perfect for my balmy 3 degree day in Denver. I bundled up like the kid in Christmas Story and went to the store in search of ingredients.
Once I got back home and thawed out, my plan was to make this dish for dinner, but then thought… why the heck not make it for lunch? Since then, it’s about all I’ve eaten for every meal. Yep, that good.
As a side note: You will have leftover Grands biscuits that you don’t use for this casserole. This would be a great opportunity to try my Creamed Spinach and Veggie Grands Pizzas with those leftover bread balls!
Easy Bubble Up Enchilada Casserole
Adapted from Emily Bites
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 small onion, diced
1 1/2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
1/4 cup water
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 Tbsp. Cholula hot sauce (optional)
5 reduced fat Pilsbury Reduced Fat Grands, uncooked and quartered
1/2 cup shredded 2% cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brown turkey in a large skillet and drain if needed. Grind up meat in a food processor until finely ground.
3. Add onions to the pan and sauté 1-2 minutes.
4. Return the meat to the skillet and add taco seasoning. Stir to combine. Cook 1-2 minutes, and add 1/4 cup water. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the can of enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, and hot sauce. Stir to combine.
6. Cut the refrigerated biscuits into fourths and stir them in the meat mixture. Note: This is the part in the recipe where I started to question what the heck I was making. Don’t question it… keep going!
7. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and add the mixture evenly. Bake for 25 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake an additional 10 minutes.
9. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
10. Serve and enjoy!!
Per 1/8 recipe serving:
CAL 222; CARB 20g; FAT 9g; SAT FAT 3g; PROT 14g; FIB 2g; SUG 4g
WW Points Plus: 6; WW Smart Points: 7