I absolutely love pico de gallo. And, it’s hard to believe that I’ve never made it before now. That’s just plain crazy!
Being that it’s tomato season, and that I can’t get enough of these red beautiful bad boys… it was prime time for me to try to make my own pico.
I got inspired to make this chunky salsa after enjoying Cafe Rio again on Saturday. I always get what I like to call a “mexi-salad” there. The Cafe Rio Salad comes with way too much on it, so I change it up quite a bit… I remove the tortilla, the beans, the rice, and most of the toppings to make room for grilled chicken, guacamole, and what I like to call an obscene amount of pico de gallo.
Yep… it’s a little excessive, but when you remove everything else… you might as well load up on what you like, right?
Knowing I had a few fresh tomatoes leftover from last week’s haul at the farmer’s market, I decided to get chopping and create my own at-home pico. I also had just picked up a new citrus juicer that I was dying to use…. great excuses to make some great pico!
Easy Pico de Gallo
- 4 hot house tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced with seeds and stems removed
- ¼ bunch cilantro, chopped
- ½ lime - juice only
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Dice your tomatoes, taking care to remove the seeds.
- Dice your onions next. Note: I took this as an opportunity to use my onion chopper from Williams-Sonoma. I wish I had used this for the tomatoes too, as it created the most perfectly uniform dice!
- Dice your jalapeño next. Note: I put the jalapeño into the vegetable chopper for a fine dice… in seconds!
- Chop your cilantro and add it to the mix.
- Squeeze 1/2 of a fresh lime into the mixture. Note: I used my Lemon Press from Williams-Sonoma to squeeze the lime. If you don't have one of these yet, I highly recommend it!
- Add the salt and pepper. Mix to combine and refrigerate immediately. Flavors will begin to combine, and create the most delicious pico.
- Serve with baked chips, over grilled chicken, or with a spoon!
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these yummy sauces from NTTC.