On Saturday, Angela and I made reservations for a late lunch at Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill.
I’ve heard about this restaurant for years. I feel like people have raved about it over and over… and I kind of thought it was just hype, until I had lunch there.
OMG… Bobby, you are my new hero. I can’t even begin to describe how delicious this meal was. Make reservations to go next time you’re in Vegas.
And, order this soup. It completely stole my heart.
I loved it so much, that I decided to look for the recipe online and make my own version of it. Here’s what I came up with.
Mesa Grill’s Fresh Tomato Soup
From Bobby Flay
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 overly ripe beef steak tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped cilantro (optional)
Diced avocado (optional)
1. Heat oil in a medium sauce pan over high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
2. Add the wine and cook until reduced by half.
3. Add the tomatoes and enough water just to cover the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer until tomatoes are very soft and start to break down, approximately 30 minutes.
4. Carefully blend the soup with an immersion blender (or process in a blender in batches) until smooth.
5. Return to the saucepan, season with cayenne, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish with diced avocado and cilantro (optional).
Per 1/2 cup soup serving (no toppings):
CAL 74; CARB 8g; FAT 3g; SAT FAT 0g; PROT 2g; FIB 1g; SUG 1g
WW Points+: 2; WW Smart Points: 2