I bought a big batch of brussels sprouts a few weeks back, with no idea of how I wanted to prepare them.
When this happens, I usually go through my cookbooks and Pinterest to see if there are any unique ideas of how to prepare them… and I loved this recipe when I found it!
Now, the color of that soup looks weird… I know. It was really hard for me to get what I considered to be a “good” picture of it to share. So, you’ll have to excuse the color… and trust me on the TASTE. It tastes AWESOME!
It has a unique brussels sprout flavor, and the chorizo adds quite a zing of flavor. This recipe was the FIRST time I’ve ever cooked with chorizo, and certainly not the last! So good!
Creamy Brussels Sprout Soup with Chorizo
From Gimme Some Oven
4 oz. Spanish chorizo, finely diced
1/2 medium white onion, diced
1 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb. brussels sprouts, finely chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup (about 1/4 pound) diced Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/3 cup almond milk
1. Saute chorizo in a large stockpot over medium high heat until cooked, about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove chorizo with a slotted spoon.
2. Add onion to the stockpot, and saute in the chorizo grease for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally.
3. Add garlic and brussels sprouts, and saute for an additional 3 minutes or until the brussels sprouts begin to brown, stirring occasionally.
4. Add chicken broth, potatoes, paprika, salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
5. Puree the soup. Blend using an immersion blender or stand blender.
6. Stir in milk and chorizo, reserving 1/4 cup chorizo for toppings if desired. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
7. Serve warm with toppings.
Per 1 cup serving:
CAL 198; CARB 15g; FAT 12g; SAT FAT 3g; PROT 10g; FIB 3g; SUG 3g
WW Points Plus: 5; WW Smart Points: 6