Today’s recipe is one of those that makes me feel like I’m a REAL DEAL kitchen genius. When I am able to make a dish that is my absolute FAVORITE breakfast indulgence… and call it healthy. I swoon. I eat in slow-mo, and I just smile.
Yep. I did that. I made a HEALTHIER version of biscuits and gravy… for one… in my kitchen. So excited about this recipe!
It is creamy and full of sausage flavor… and I didn’t miss any of the other butter or greasiness that comes with standard B & G. Now, I’m calling this “healthy”… but remember, it’s just in comparison to the standard biscuits and gravy. You’re going to like it, I promise!
Lightened Up Biscuits and Gravy
1/2 italian turkey sausage link or 1 meatless sausage patty
1 reduced fat Grands buttermilk biscuit (or 1/3 cup Healthy Heart Bisquick + 2 Tbsp. skim milk)
1/2 cup skim milk
4 tsp. flour
1. Preheat your oven at 350 degrees, and bake your Grand in the oven per the package instructions. Or… you can make your own biscuit using this recipe.
2. Prepare your sausage per package instructions. Note: I decided very last minute to try this, and used the italian sausage. I simply removed the casing and sautéed it. If you choose to use the meatless patty, follow the package instructions. I’ve made it both ways… both are DELISH!
3. Combine all the gravy ingredients in a bowl, and combine with a whisk.
4. Place the gravy mixture and the sausage in a small saucepan. Heat at medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. After about 2 minutes, your gravy will thicken up nicely. Taste the gravy for seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper to taste. Note: I like lots of pepper, as you’ll see…
5. Split your biscuit and top it with gravy.
6. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
Per entire recipe serving (made with 1/2 link turkey sausage):
CAL 308; CARB 40g; FAT 9g; SAT FAT 1g; PROT 18g; FIB 1g; SUG 10g
WW Points Plus: 8; WW Smart Points: 9
And… if you can use the leftover Grands from any of these NTTC recipes: