It’s official! Christmas has passed… and I’m on my way back home. Back to normal, and back to cooking in my kitchen! While everything that I ate this holiday season was delicious, I am so ready to be back to normal from an eating perspective… and back to eating healthy.
Today’s recipe is a great example of what I plan to eat in upcoming weeks…
A few months back, I had a chance to sample Sun Valley Mustards at my local Whole Foods, and I was blown away! This Idaho-based company creates the most delicious flavors of mustard including: Spicy Sweet (their signature flavor), Jalapeno, Chardonnay, Sweet Garlic, and Dill. After eating way too much mustard at the store (if there is a thing!), I went home with my very own jar of Sweet Garlic and used it to make a few recipes here on NTTC.
The folks over at Sun Valley noticed that I was a fan and sent me the most awesome care package which has given me the chance to try even more flavors. They’re ALL delicious!!!
They also sent me these tiny little 3 oz. mustards to share with friends. They even put an NTTC logo on the lid! So cute!
Check out their site by clicking here, and browse their tasty offerings. Thanks, Sun Valley, for all the amazing mustards!
When I was planning to make this mustardy pot roast, I knew EXACTLY what kind of mustard I was going to use. I’ve been loving my slow cooker this season, and this recipe was the PERFECT dish to make during our cold spell here in Colorado.
And… it has beets in it! I’d never thought of putting beets in with a roast… what a great idea! You’ll notice that it’s the golden ones. I’m not sure what the bright purple ones would do to the color of the dish… I’d stick with the golden ones, if I were you.
Slow Cooker Maple-Mustard Pot Roast with Winter Root Vegetables
Recipe from Weight Watchers
2 1/2 Tbsp. Sun Valley Mustard – Chardonnay flavor (or your favorite mustard)
1 ½ Tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. canola oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 (1-lb) boneless lean beef bottom round roast, trimmed
1/4 cup water
2 carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 golden beets, peeled and cut into thin wedges
3/4 lb. fingerling potatoes, scrubbed and left whole
1 small onion, sliced
1. Stir together mustard, maple syrup, oil, and salt in small bowl.
2. Brush beef lightly with 2 Tbsp. of mustard mixture. Set aside remaining mustard mixture.
3. Spray large heavy skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add roast and cook, turning occasionally until browned, 6 minutes. Transfer beef to 6-quart slow cooker.
3. Add water to skillet; bring to boil, scraping browned bits at the bottom of the pan. Pour water mixture over roast. Add carrots, beets, onion, and potatoes to slow cooker.
4. Drizzle beef and vegetables with reserved mustard mixture.
5. Cover and cook until beef is fork-tender, 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
6. Transfer beef to a cutting board and cut across the grain into 12 slices. Serve with vegetables and cooking liquid.
Per serving (3 slices of beef with ¾ cup vegetables and ¼ cup cooking liquid):
CAL 306; FAT 7g; CARB 27g; FIB 3g; PROT 31g; WW Points Plus: 7