It’s Fall in Colorado, and while for most people that means pumpkin everything. For me, it means that I’ll be enjoying warm slow cooker meals and savory soups.
I received a package of biscuit mixes to try, and knew that I needed a new soup to pair it with. I’ve had this broccoli-cheese soup pinned forever, and this was the perfect opportunity to try it!
Confession: I’ve never had broccoli cheese soup until I made this batch. That being said, this is the BEST BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP I’VE EVER HAD!!! Realistically, restaurant-style broccoli and cheese soup is likely way to rich for me, but this skinny version was perfection. I can’t think of a better soup on a cool fall day…
Skinny Broccoli-Cheese Potato Soup
1 small onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
2 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
1 cup fat free milk
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced small
salt and fresh pepper
4 cups broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
1-1/2 cups 2% shredded sharp cheddar
2 slices 2% American cheese
1 Tbsp. parmesan cheese
1. Chop onion, carrot, celery, garlic in a chopper or mini food processor.
4. Add chicken broth, milk and potatoes and set heat to high until it comes to a boil, then cover and cook on low until potatoes are soft, about 10-15 minutes.
6. Add cheddar and American cheese, stir well and remove from heat.
7. Using an immersion blender, quickly blend part of the soup for a quick second or two. If you don’t have an immersion blender, remove about 2 cups of potatoes and broccoli, place it in your chopper, then add it back to the soup.
8. Serve, and enjoy! I served mine with Duff Goldman’s Premium Bacon and Cheddar biscuits!
CAL 282; CARB 33g; FAT 8g; PROT 20g; FIB 5g
WW Points+: 7 ; WW Smart Points: 9