When I went to Florida to see my dad at this time last year, he made the most ridiculously delicious salad.
It’s a little bit of a splurge, but I wanted to make something delicious and different for a dinner party I was going to on Saturday night at my friend Deb’s house. Dad’s (soon-to-be) Famous Bacon Cauliflower-Lettuce Salad seemed like a great dish to take. I made it a little bit healthier by making the following adjustments:
- Exchanging regular bacon for center-cut bacon
- Decreasing the bacon from 16 oz to 12 oz
- Using light mayonnaise
Next time I make it, I’m going to try to substitute the sugar for Splenda and see how that goes. I think I’ll also try it with 1/2 fat free mayo and 1/2 lowfat mayo next round. You’ll see why I say this as you look at the fat grams at the end.
Regardless of its stats, I have to admit between us friends, there was something awesome about making bacon for the first time in forever.
Bacon Cauliflower-Lettuce Salad
1 head iceberg lettuce, rinsed and chopped
1 head cauliflower, rinsed and chopped
12 oz. center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup onion, minced
1/4 cup sugar
2 splashes Worcestershire sauce
1 splash lemon juice
1. Cook bacon in the oven or on the stove until crisp. Crumble bacon and place in a bowl.
2. Add mayonnaise, onion, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice. Stir to combine and move to the refrigerator.
3. Wash and chop the cauliflower. Note: I used the orange cauliflower because I had it in the fridge. You can use any color really.
3. Prepare the lettuce and add it to the large bowl.
[…] And, I winced slightly. I didn’t wince in horror or topple to the ground, but the extra 3 lbs that were staring back at me made themselves known. 3 lbs. Really??? It was that bacon on Saturday night. I knew it!! […]
[…] posts:Bacon Cauliflower-Lettuce SaladHeirloom Tomato-Kale Lavash PizzaNo-Bake Energy […]