Super Bowl Sunday is just a day away… and what’s the best part of the game?
I bet Lauren would say it’s the Ravens, and some people will say it’s the commercials… but I’d bet there’s a high percentage of folks that will say it’s the food.
Now, for those of you who have spent the first 33 days of the year eating nutritiously and forming new healthy habits, the thought of attending a Super Bowl may generate a little anxiety with the thought of being exposed to all of those decadent snacks.
I completely understand!
The great news is that here at NTTC, we have quite a few healthier appetizers for you to choose from.
For a full listing of NTTC healthy appetizers, click here.
In honor of the Super Bowl this year, I wanted to give you ONE MORE healthy appetizer to choose from. This one comes directly from our friends at Weight Watchers.
When I was at Fitbloggin, the ladies from Weight Watchers encouraged me to try this recipe and even gave me a coupon for a free bag of cheese to make it. I really can’t believe that it took me this long to make these cheese sticks! They rock!
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
From Weight Watchers
6 Tbsp. unseasoned panko or breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. enriched flour
2 egg whites, lightly scrambled
8 pieces Weight Watchers Natural Light String Cheese, cut in half
2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
1. Combine panko, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper on a medium sized plate. Place flour on a small plate.
2. Dip each stick into flour to coat. Shake off excess and dip in egg whites, then panko mixture.
3. Place on baking sheet 2 inches apart. Spray tops with olive oil cooking spray. Place baking sheet in freezer for 1 hour. Note: This freezing step is REALLY important. If you don’t freeze them, they don’t really turn out right.
4. Fifteen to 20 minutes before serving, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until sticks are just heated through by not melted. Note: You really need to follow step 3 in its entirety. Otherwise, your sticks will completely melt.
I had to make another batch… and froze a few extras for later use!
5. Remove from oven and serve with warm marinara sauce.
Per 2 mozzarella dippers + 1/2 cup sauce:
CAL 110; CARB 12g; FAT 3g; SAT FAT 1g; PROT 9; FIB 1g; SUG 6g
WW Points+: 3; WW Smart Points: 3
What recipes are you making for this year’s Super Bowl?