Truth be told, I don’t love the lettuce wraps at PF Changs.
They’re probably the most popular appetizer on their menu, but all I can think about when I’m eating them is that they’re FULL of mushrooms. I’ll eat them, but I just don’t get too excited about them.
What I do love is the concept… how awesome is it to enjoy a tasty taco with no tortilla?? Anytime I eat lettuce wraps of any kind, I always think I’m being uber-healthy. I’ve created a few versions of lettuce wraps over the year, and I’m sharing the first of which with you today.
Now, to those of you that know your greens… I know you’re staring at that picture and thinking that there’s something wrong. That looks an awful lot like cabbage doesn’t it??? Well… during my whirlwind shopping trip, I picked up a small head of cabbage instead of a head of bibb lettuce. In all honestly, the recipe STILL turned out and was delish! That being said, I’ll let you choose… lettuce wraps or cabbage wraps!
Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
1 lb lean ground chicken
2 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1 cup green onions, sliced
2 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
8 large lettuce leaves
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp lower-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp honey
crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
1. Add chicken, garlic and ginger to skillet and cook for 6-7 minutes or until chicken is brown. Grind cooked meat in a food processor.
2. While chicken cooks, slice scallions and chop chesnuts. Note: The original recipe called for 8 oz. mushrooms and 8 oz. water chesnuts. I replaced the mushrooms with extra water chesnuts… feel free to exchange as you see fit.
3. Place chicken back in the skillet. Add green onions and water chestnuts; toss together.
4. Combine sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, lower-sodium soy sauce, honey and crushed red pepper flakes in a small bowl; whisk to mix well.
5. Divide chicken mixture evenly between each lettuce leaf and top with sesame oil mixture.
6. Roll up and enjoy!
7. You can also try the meat mixture over lettuce to create a asian salad – – also amazing!
Per 1/4 meat mixture and 1/4 sauce:
CAL 218; CARB 7g; FAT 10g; SAT FAT 2g; PROT 25g; FIB 1g; SUG 2g
WW Points+: 6; WW Smart Points: 5
[…] posts:Healthy Chicken Lettuce WrapsGreen GazpachoApple Cider […]