Special thanks to Jenny Craig for their sponsorship of this post.
Confession: I got the inspiration for this recipe from following a reality star’s social Instastories during quarantine. One of the couples had shared that they made a white cheddar macaroni and cheese “cacio e pepe” style by adding a ton of black pepper.
I’ll be honest: That just sounded awesome, considering it evolved from simple macaroni and cheese. I thought I’d give it a shot with a creamy Jenny Craig dish – – the Classic Chicken Carbonara – – and see if it took on the same flavor profile.
The secret to this dish is definitely in the black pepper. This recipe doesn’t just call for a shake or two of black pepper, but a 1/2 teaspoon of that magic (more or less, depending upon how much spiciness you enjoy.)
Enjoy this fun twist on the carbonara, y’all!
Jenny Craig Recipe Creation: Cacio e Pepe with Asparagus | No Thanks to Cake
- 1 pkg. Jenny Craig Classic Chicken Carbonara
- 4 spears asparagus, diced
- 2 Tbsp. red onion, diced
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- cooking spray
- ½-¾ tsp. black pepper
- Cook your pasta per the packaging directions and set aside.
- In a skillet prepared with cooking spray, saute your asparagus, garlic, and onion on medium heat until the onions are tender. Salt lightly. Note: I like to dice my asparagus and cook it al dente in the skillet. This seems to add a nice crunch to any dish (plus all those delicious nutrients!)
- Remove your skillet from the heat, and add the pasta and black pepper. Stir quickly to combine. Note: Start with ½ tsp. of black pepper, and add more to your liking, based upon your tolerance for spice. If you prefer less kick, you can even go down to ¼ tsp.
- Move to your favorite bowl, and enjoy!
Click here to see a full listing of my Jenny Craig Recipe Creations!
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Jenny Craig; however, all of the opinions and comments about the program are exclusively my own and do not necessarily represent that of the brand.