TRUTH: It’s super rare that I go off my program. I just feel better when I consistently eat what fuels me well. And, my skin breaks out like I’m a teenager when I do… which is another deterrent.
Since quarantine kicked off (now 20 days ago!), I’ve literally only eaten two meals off plan… and both of them were tied to the half loaf of bread that came with my CSA delivery this week. Keep in mind, while I am on a reduced carb plan, I’m a little like Oprah in how much I love bread.
I spent Friday night going through magazines looking for images to place on my vision board, and during the process I stumbled upon a recipe for Croque Monsieur. Ahhh… Croque Monsieur.
Knowing I had all the ingredients, I decided to make this for a Sunday morning quarantine brunch. You guys… this is insanely good. Croque Monsieur is like the best grilled cheese you’ll ever have. It’s creamy, rich, French, and this one has BACON.
The original recipe comes from Real Simple magazine, and I modified it to allow for use of the ingredients I have on hand. Healthier items, for the most part. This literally tasted like a brunch meal and definitely richly decadent. I bet you have most of these ingredients on hand. Give it a try…
Quarantine Croque Monsieur | No Thanks to Cake
- 2 slices your favorite bread
- 2 slices turkey bacon
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 tsp. dijon mustard, rounded
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch black pepper more if desired
- 1 thin slice red onion
- Cook your turkey bacon in the microwave, per package instructions (about 1 minute.)
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and whisk continuously until mixture turns a golden brown color (about 1-2 minutes)
- Add milk, whisking often, until mixture is smooth and slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in mustard, salt, pepper, and 2 Tbsp. cheese.
- Arrange 1 slices bread on a baking sheet. Spread with half the cheese sauce. Top with bacon and remaining bread. Spread remaining cheese sauce over sandwich. Top with a few onion rings and dust with remaining 2 Tbsp. cheese.
- Conventional Oven: Bake until bubbly, 10 to 12 minutes. Increase oven to broil. Broil until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.Airfryer: Cook in airfyer for 7-9 minutes at 370, checking to assure it achieves desired level of brownness. Let cool slightly before serving.