I mentioned my New Year’s Eve weakness a few weeks ago here on the blog, but I didn’t tell you guys all about what I brought to the party! I made, if I might say so, the prettiest veggie tray and a new dip inspired by the Trader Joe’s Reduced Fat Kale and Spinach Dip.
My party crowd wouldn’t have enjoyed the kale in this dip, so I made quite a few modifications with the most significant being the swap of spinach for kale. The end result was delicious… and I love the fact that it didn’t include a packaged dip, instead fresh ingredients and spices from my spice cabinet.
Copycat Trader Joe's Reduced Guilt Spinach Dip | No Thanks to Cake
I found this recipe for a copycat of one of my favorite dips from Trader Joe's. It's fun to make this at home, when I don't have the time to drive all the way to Trader Joe's.
- 2 cups reduced fat sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 pkg. chopped frozen spinach, defrosted with excess water removed
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper, finely minced
- ¼ cup carrot, finely minced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp. sea salt + more to taste, as needed
- 2 Tbsp. dry chives
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. dried dill weed
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Combine spices, sour cream, mayo, and garlic in a small bowl. Add honey and stir well to combine.
- Prepare your veggies. I used my veggie chopper to quickly dice the peppers, and my ninja to finely chop the carrots. Wring out your spinach with a tea towel to remove all the excess water.
- Add your veggies to the sour cream mixture, and stir well to combine.
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving. Serve with your favorite veggies, and enjoy!
Adapted from Kim’s Cravings