I had company in town this weekend. One of my dear, dear friends from Nashville came to visit.
Jen and I have been friends for a million years (or maybe just 21). She was my next door neighbor in the dorms when I first went to college and was my roommate after college for a few years in Nashville.
Anytime I travel to Nashville, I always make time to see Jen, but it was SO NICE to have her hear with me in Colorado. Uninterrupted, dedicated time is rare, especially as Jen is a new mom and me living across the country. We had a blast!
Jen is a huge coffee fan, so I had coffee ready for her each morning (and I arranged for her to try the infamous Brain Damage in Northern Colorado!) And, I tried a new recipe for breakfast… this one.
We loved these donuts. The Greek yogurt made the donuts super moist, and the tangy lemon drizzle is INCREDIBLE. These little baked donuts gave us fuel for the morning to explore Colorad. Loved them!
Lightened Up Lemon Donuts
From 77 Recipes
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup egg beaters or better’n eggs
3/4 cup plain non fat greek yogurt
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup skim milk
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, & salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl whisk together egg beaters, yogurt, milk, applesauce, & lemon zest.
4. Add dry ingredients together with wet ingredients, and stir to combine.
5. Pour into a piping bag or a large ziploc. Cut a corner off & pipe into a donut pan that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray. Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden brown.
6. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
7. Make a glaze with powdered sugar & lemon juice. .
8. Place in ziploc bag and pipe onto the donuts. Note: The easiest way to fill a ziploc bag is to place it over a bowl or mug and then fill it. Much less messy this way.
9. Share with a friend!
Per 1 donut serving:
CAL 107; FAT 0g; SAT FAT 0g; CARBS 24g; PROT 3g; FIB 1g; SUG 14g
WW Points+: 3 ; WW Smart Points: 5