Photo Credit: Carrie D. Photography
While the conference boasts an opportunity for honing your blog skills, sampling amazing new workouts, and meeting the most dynamic and inspiring people in the healthy living/weight loss blogosphere, I found this year that I had a serious yearning to connect.
I could have spent three days simply talking about cute workout pants, tasting amazing avocado appetizers, and encouraging people to hydrate while in the Mile High City (which I did!), but I wanted more.
What I saw was an enormous room full of men and women who were working toward incredible goals, steep goals, and goals that required courage, and I wanted to cut through the superficial crap and get to what the heck we were REALLY doing there. I looked to myself first. What the heck was I doing at Fitbloggin? What was I trying to accomplish?
By now, you probably know my story. I’ve lost 70+ pounds on the Jenny Craig program and I’ve been working to maintain that weight loss for about 4 years now. My process isn’t without its ups and downs. There are days where I feel I could scale mountains in a single leap, and others where I feel like the only road to happiness requires I travel through a tunnel of chocolate frosting.
And, I truthfully recognize that it may be this way for some time – – the ups and downs. I also know that on most days, that mountain leap seems completely feasible… and for that reason, I keep going. Regardless, this whole weight loss “thing” hasn’t been completely resolved.
So… I went to Fitbloggin, not only to see beautiful friends I’ve made over the years and to figure out why in the heck my blog spam filter isn’t working, but also (and mostly)… I showed up TO BE INSPIRED.
At conferences like this, inspiration comes to you. While it’s right there, you have to watch for it. You have to pay attention to it. You can’t just go through the motions. You have to go to the sessions and meet the people. And, when you do, it’s completely life-changing.
Here’s a few ways I was inspired this year:
- Watching Brooke talk about how she stood up to Shape Magazine this year and wouldn’t put on that shirt – – Something that requires courage and I admire so much
- Dancing (and sweating!) with Nellie and team in their “body love” themed Zumba class – – My first cardio group fitness class since I had my car accident last year, reminding me that I CAN do this again!
- Listening to Caryn share tips about how to face Mondays boldly and to see them as a day of opportunity – – Something I desperately needed to hear
- Meeting bright-eyed new attendees like Kristyn and Sylvia – – Both so passionate about driving their wellness missions based right here in our Colorado community
- Being delighted by the positive energy that flows from Dani and Pauly, two woman who have been on their own happiness tour this year – – Seeing happiness personified is INSPIRING!
- Witnessing Carla and Roni as they conducted their #wycwyc book signing – – Allowing me to see that I too could be the one seated with a Sharpie one day
- Spotting Robby in the back of the workout class… working her butt off with a cane in hand – – Nothing is stopping this lady!
- Taking copious notes while Katy shared her blogging wisdom with the relative beginners like me with such poise and grace – – I’m inspired to not only build my blog, but possibly speak in some capacity at Fitbloggin next year!
Seriously, I encourage you to click on the links above to get to know these folks.. they’re incredible. And, just a tiny subset of the men and women I met this weekend.
And they’re not the only ones
On Friday night, I really wanted to visit. Again, at a deeper level rather than the surface, so I posted a message in the conference Facebook page, and waited to see who else wanted to meet up for some “lobby talk.”
At this point, let’s be real… I was competing against Colorado beer and Cards Against Humanity. I really didn’t expect anyone to show up. At most one or two, but nearly twenty men and women showed up to chat, and it was two of the best hours I spent at Fitbloggin all weekend long.
Photo by Nicole – Health Nut in Training
It is amazing what can happen when twenty healthy-minded, goal-chasers get in a room and start talking about real life. There was laughter, there was applause, there were tears. I think we all walked out knowing each other a little better, gaining perspective on what we are all trying to accomplish, and ultimately, feeling a little stronger than when we walked in that room.
Did I walk away from Fitbloggin inspired?? You betcha.
A sincere thanks to the many folks that spent time chatting with me this weekend at Fitbloggin, who were brave enough to get in front of a microphone, who cared enough to share their expertise, and who revealed what matters most to you. You made an incredible difference in me, and I’m sure many others!!!
Looking forward to 2016, y’all!