I’ve been fascinated by the idea of quick bread french toast for a while. I tried some here locally at Watercourse in the form of Banana Bread French Toast a few months back, and fell in love.
Since then, I’ve been bouncing the idea of making my own at home… and then I got on the Jenny Craig program. While it’s not impossible to enjoy a dish like this, you have to plan for it… and I likely wouldn’t eat it at a restaurant. Instead, I’d prepare it at home so I could control the ingredients and make it lighter. And I did just that on Sunday morning!
While Jenny doesn’t offer a banana bread, they do offer a pumpkin-cranberry bread. I used that as my base. Slicing that mini loaf into small pieces and dipping it in an egg white and skim milk batter, my french toast was born!
Note: You could use any type of prepared quick breads to make this, if you’re not on the Jenny Craig program.
Pumpkin-Cranberry French Toast
1 package Jenny Craig Pumpkin Cranberry Mini Loaf
1/3 cup skim milk
1 egg white
pinch of pumpkin pie spice
1/8 cup sugar-free maple syrup
1. Slice your pumpkin loaf into 5 pieces.
2. Combine egg white, skim milk, and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl.
3. Bring a griddle to medium heat, coated with cooking spray.
4. Dip each of your bread slices in milk mixture, dunking completely and allowing the bread to absorb the liquid.
5. Place on the griddle and cook well on each side, about 2-3 minutes per side. Make sure not to allow your bread to burn, but allow it to turn brown and golden.
6. Serve with syrup and enjoy!