When I went to FitSocial at the end of last month, I tried a new dish at one of the dinners that was insanely delicious.
I opted for the vegetarian dinner on Friday night at the hotel, and out came the most beautiful cauliflower cakes. They were seasoned with Indian spices, and a sweet tamarind sauce. I LOVED them, and was determined to find a way to re-create them at home.
After one incredible failed attempt, I finally got the recipe right and I’m sharing it today…
I absolutely loved these. And, their rich flavor leaves you SO satisfied. The Indian spices are delicious, and the sauce on the plate adds an amazingly complementary sweet spiciness that makes the dish.
Baked Cauliflower Cakes
4 cups chopped cauliflower
1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp. bread crumbs
2 egg whites
1/8 tsp. tumeric, heaping
1/8 tsp. curry, heaping
1/8 tsp. ginger
1/4 cup jasmine rice
2-3 Tbsp. frozen peas
1. Cook the rice in a rice cooker or on the stove, and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Chop cauliflower into small pieces. Place in a gallon-sized storage bag with 3 Tbsp. of water.
3. Microwave the sealed bag for 2 1/2 minutes to steam cauliflower. Remove from microwave, and drain the cauliflower.
4. Place 2 1/2 cups of the cauliflower into a food processor. Set the remaining cauliflower aside.
5. Add breadcrumbs to the food processor and pulse.
6. Move mixture to a large bowl. Add two egg whites.
7. Add spices, and combine well.
8. Add reserved cauliflower to the mixture. Note: I wanted a few cauliflower florets in the mix.
9. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Form cakes with your hands, or use a food mold. Note: I used a food mold and they came out in such a great shape! You can press the mixture down to form a perfect circle.
10. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cakes have browned.
11. Add 1/2 of jasmine rice and pea mixture to a plate. Drizzle plate with sauce, and place cakes on top. Note: Here is a close-up of the sauce I used. I found it at my local Asian market.
Per 2 cakes and 1/2 rice:
CAL 218; CARB 35g; FAT 1g; PROT 12g; FIB 1; WW Points Plus: 5