On Sunday afternoon before my yoga class, I had a chance to sneak over to the farmer’s market to pick up a few veggies. Last week, I wasn’t home a single night for dinner, so it felt necessary to have some fresh veggies on hand this week to make up for last week’s excessive dining out.
Initially, I had my eyes on tomatoes. Since I adore tomatoes in just about any form, I quickly headed to the vegetable stand only to find out that they had a special going!
$10 for an entire bag of veggies!!!
I used my mad Tetris skills to pack in the following: 5 multi-colored peppers, 4 cucumbers, 3 purple potatoes, 4 tomatoes, 2 green tomatoes and a huge amount of beans!
This week’s meals will be all about these beautiful veggies. Before diving into them, I realized I had some gorgeous beets that I needed to eat. Using my favorite site Pinterest, I was able to find an amazing recipe to use my beets.
As usual, I modified the recipe pretty significantly. To check out the original recipe, click here.
Bottom line: The beets are roasted to perfection. The avocado’s creaminess blended so well with the beets’ texture. The walnuts added a little nutty goodness, and lastly, the lemony vinaigrette…. perfection. Try this one.
Beet-Avocado-Arugula Salad | No Thanks to Cake
- 2 medium beets, cut into fork-sized pieces and roasted
- 1 English cucumber, quartered
- 2 scallions (green parts only), thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ avocado, diced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped walnut pieces
- Peel and slice your beets. Note: I used three different colors and I’m officially obsessed with the pink striped beets. LOVE them!
- Prepare your avocado by scoring it in the skin. Use a spoon to pop out the squares of yummy avocado.
- To serve, toss the arugula, oil, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Top with avocado, beets, cucumbers, and walnuts. Be amazed. Be truly amazed.