Something I forgot to mention about my Vegas trip… I met some readers during my trip to the desert!
Picture it, we’re at the Bellagio Buffet on Friday night and one of the groomsmen said… “Wait, you’re the blogger?” and then he proceeded to go on about how his family LOVED the Grilled Chicken Bruschetta recipe I posted. They’d even made the dish for Mother’s Day. How fantastic is that?
When I met the groom’s mother, she told me that she had been reading NTTC for a while now. Nancy also shared she had lost 32 lbs since January using Weight Watchers. Wow!!!
It’s not often that I get to meet folks who read my ramblings and try my recipes. It was an honor to have a chance to meet Nancy, and I just adored her. How lucky is Angela to have married into such a great family??
It only seems appropriate to be sharing this story on the same day that I’m sharing one of Angela and Jamie‘s favorite dishes. Angela found this one on Skinny Taste (only one of the best low cal / low fat recipe blog out there). While I’d tried many of Gina’s dishes (Pumpkin Spice Pancakes, Low Fat Red Wine Tomato Vinaigrette, Creamy Cilantro Tomatillo Dressing, and Slow Cooker Applesauce to name a few), I hadn’t tried this decadent pasta until Angela mentioned it.
Don’t let its simple ingredients fool you. Gina has once again created a delicious dish that you’ll want to make over and over again….
Pasta with Italian Chicken Sausage, Peppers, and Escarole
Inspired to try it by Angela
Recipe by Skinny Taste
12 oz Ronzoni Smart taste pasta (or whole wheat or low carb)
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb Italian chicken sausage, removed from casing
1 medium head escarole, rinsed and torn into bite sized pieces
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
salt and fresh pepper to taste
1. Rinse escarole and tear into bite sized pieces. Note: I had to go to Whole Foods to find this stuff. Any leafy green, including spinach is an appropriate substitute.
2. Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water. Reserve 1 cup water before draining.
3. While pasta water boils, heat a large non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add olive oil; when hot add onions, peppers, garlic, salt and pepper.
4. Cook until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
5. Add sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon and cook until golden, about 6 to 8 minutes.
6. Add escarole, cover and cook 2 minutes; remove the cover, stir and cook about 3 more minutes or until wilted. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
7. Add cooked pasta, red pepper flakes, reserved water and Parmigiano Reggiano, toss well and transfer to a large serving bowl. Serve immediately.
Per 1 ½ cup serving:
CAL 298; FAT 5.5g; PROT 20.6g; CARB 47.2; FIB 7.5g; SUG 1.1g;
WW Points+: 8 ; WW Smart Points: