I decided to add the word magical to this recipe title because I truly believe that it is.
One of my employees recommended this recipe to me this week and while I usually trust her recommendations, the idea of kale, sweet potato, and quinoa just seemed a little too whole foodsy for me. Yep, I just made whole foods an adjective. It’s fine.
Just the same, we don’t share recipes that often on the job so I knew there had to be something special about this one. Over the weekend while wandering Trader Joe’s, I saw a bag of kale and decided to try it.
You guys, the results were incredible. So incredible that I want to make a second batch immediately to enjoy throughout the week. I ate it for breakfast on Sunday morning and it was perfectly filling!
Magical Sweet Potato & Sausage Quinoa Bake | No Thanks to Cake
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 2½ cups water
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups kale, chopped and stems removed
- 4 links Trader Joe’s Spicy Italian chicken sausage, sliced
- 2 oz. shredded Trader Joe’s Cheddar-Gruyere cheese
- sea salt & pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop your sweet potatoes. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet prepared with cooking spray. Spray lightly with cooking spray, and season with salt & pepper. Bake 35-40 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Place the 1 cup of quinoa and 2 ½ cups of water into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until all of the water is absorbed. Fluff and set aside. I used a rice cooker to make mine.
- Add your kale and chicken sausage to a skillet prepared with cooking spray. Season with salt and pepper. Saute at medium heat until the kale begins to crisp slightly and the sausage is browned.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, sweet potato, kale and chicken sausage together.
- Pour the mixture into a large baking dish, prepared with cooking spray. Top with cheese.