Last week, I shared a super simple recipe for Baked Garlic Chicken, and you might have see this pretty, pretty salad peeking through in the background.
There’s something about kalamata olives. I used to think I didn’t like them, but really… what’s not to like? They’re salty and flavorful and a little goes a long way. And, when you pair them with my favorite veggies – cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onion – I’m in love! This recipe from Skinnytaste does not disappoint, and while I enjoyed the salad as an at-home side dish, I’m certain that it would be a crowd pleaser at a late summer barbecue as well.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Adapted from Skinnytaste
1 cup uncooked rainbow quinoa
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup (about 10) kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 cups cucumber, peeled and diced (from 1 English)
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
salt and fresh pepper, to taste
1. Rinse dry quinoa for about 2 minutes.Cook your quinoa per package instructions, or in a rice cooker. My preference is definitely rice cooker.
2. While the quinoa cools, dice all the vegetables.
3. Add the red onion, olives, cucumber, tomatoes to the cooled quinoa.
4. Drizzle the olive oil over the quinoa and the lemon, then add salt and pepper to taste and toss well. Taste for salt and adjust as needed, add more lemon juice if needed.
5. Makes over 6 1/4 cups. Serve and enjoy!!
Per 1 generous cup serving:
CAL 180; FAT 7g; SAT FAT 1g; CARBS 25g; PROT 4g; FIB 3g; SUG 1g
WW Points+: 5; WW Smart Points: 5