It is officially winter in Colorado. Not per the calendar, but definitely per the temperatures that are rolling in. Over the weekend, knowing that this was coming our way… it just made sense to post a recipe that was warm, comforting, and did I mention delicious??
This recipe comes from the lovely Gina over at Skinnytaste. It reminds me a lot of the Healthy Chicken Quinoa Soup recipe I shared a while back, but with some extra latin flavors… The combination of the beef, the sazon, quinoa, and the fresh cilantro comes together to create the perfect dish to eat while snuggling under a blanket in front of the fire.
Beef Potato and Quinoa Soup
2 tsp. olive oil
6-7 scallions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tomato, diced
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. sazon
1/2 lb. beef, cubed into small bite size pieces
5 cups water
1 beef bouillon cube
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
2 Tbsp. yellow bell pepper, diced
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup cooked quinoa
6 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute oil in a large pot, add scallions and garlic and sauté until soft over medium heat, about 3 minutes.
2. Add tomato, cumin, sazon with achiote, 1/4 cup cilantro and cook another 2 minutes. Note: This is the first time I’ve ever used Sazon, and it’s delicious! This is what the packaging looks like, and/or you can make your own using Skinnytaste’s recipe!
3. Add beef, water, boullion, carrot, bell pepper, salt and bring to a boil.
4. Cover and simmer on low about 1-1/2 hours, until meat is tender. Add potato and cooked quinoa and cook an additional 25 minutes.
5. Add remaining chopped cilantro and serve.
Per 1 1/2 cup serving:
CAL 308; CARB 31g; FAT 14g; PROT 16g; FIB 5g; WW Points Plus: 8