One of the asks from my Blogtastic Blogiversary survey way back when was to share what I eat on a daily basis.
Yesterday, I REALLY tried to capture all my eats… but I suppose I’m just not disciplined enough to make it happen. After I had my carrot sticks in the afternoon, I realized they were all gone and unavailable for a pic. Here’s two pics that made the cut. Yeah… I am terrible at the whole WIAW thing that so many bloggers do.
So, rather than giving you the play by play of what I ate yesterday, I thought I’d talk a little bit about how I grocery shop each week. There’s two different goals I have when I go to the store: 1) To pick up ingredients for recipes 2) Buy the staples
Meal planning is not my strength. I’ve made plans before, and then… I decide I’m in the mood for something else and deviate. It’s what I do. I try to keep my plans pretty flexible as a result. I’ve also learned from my sister-in-law Beth to plan for recipes that kind of complement one another and ones that have similar ingredients.
For example, I could make these three dishes on the same week because they contain common ingredients: tomatoes, avocados, onions….
I keep a list of items that I need to replenish on my smartphone because I always have that handy. I use an app called Evernote, that also links to my iPad so that I can constantly add it to whatever device I’m using. I use Evernote for to-do lists, Christmas gift shopping lists, etc… LOVE that App!
- Cheese Sticks – I must have been craving cheese. This is a rare purchase, and can take me months to eat… but they’re the cheddar mozzarella mix. Pretty tasty snack!
- Asparagus – It was on sale. I ended up with both WHITE and GREEN. After eating it at LaDawn and Dana’s on Easter, I have a taste for it and just want more! Roasted, these make for GREAT sides.
- Cucumbers - Quite possibly the most perfect veggie, I eat the heck out of these too… I prep them on the weekends so I have them ready to nosh on… I prefer English Cucumbers to the regular ones.
- Bananas - I’ve been eating bananas for my mid-morning snack lately. Love them. Unfortunately, I like them on the greener side… so, again, a small bunch.
- Apples and Pears – I take either an apple or a pear with me every day to work as a snack. SO GOOD. I bought four. I usually only buy enough for the week, so they don’t go bad… Trying a new kind of apple my boss recommended this week: Pacific Rose. We’ll see how it stands up to my favorite Honeycrisp. Note: Does anyone remember when fruit was my nemesis when I first started Jenny??
- Grape Tomatoes - Another great snack, I literally eat these like grapes. I fill a little bag and take them to work for snacks some days and toss them in salads on others.
- Butter Lettuce – I truly believe it’s the most superior of all lettuces… I bought two BIG containers of butter lettuce. Eating them this week with a favorite vinaigrette that I need to share with you guys at some point…
- Lean Cuisine Lemon Chicken – I bought two of these… I just really liked it when I tried it last week. Try it!
Note: This list is missing one of my favorite weekly snacks… BEETS! But, I went to the wrong store this week. They’ll be back on the counter and in the snack bag next week!
Tell me about your grocery shopping. What must-haves to do you pick up every week?