Fall in Colorado is beyond gorgeous… and almost here.
Of course, as in previous years, the world is in a hurry for fall to show up. Pumpkin Spice Lattes and pumpkin everything showing up all over town…
While I don’t enjoy the Pumpkin Spice Latte (I know, it’s nearly sacrilegious), I prefer the Salted Caramel Mocha, which to me is ten times more delicious! It wouldn’t be a season if I didn’t remind you of my doctored-up, long-winded, high-maintenance, yet totally-delicious-and-healthier version. Refer to this post for the details, but I had my first one on Friday. Yum-o!
With the cooler weather we’re starting to see… I just couldn’t resist getting in on the early pumpkin-ing that’s going on.
Baking pumpkin cakes and pumpkin cookies and even pumpkin bread can be a little dangerous in my place, so I opted for a lighter breakfast pumpkin dish. These waffles are AWESOME. The frothy egg whites make them fluffy and thick. The whole wheat, grainy flour that it includes give you mileage. The pumpkin flavor makes you want to curl up on the couch under a blanket and knit… oh wait, that might just be me.
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles
Adapted from The Happy Gal
2 egg whites
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
2 Tbsp. honey
1 1/2 Tbsp. natural, no-sugar applesauce
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1. Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat.
2. Place the egg whites in a mixing boal and beat on high until frothy. Note: Mix it a few minutes beyond this point, so you have light peaks.
3. In another bowl, whisk the the soy milk, pumpkin, honey, oil, and vanilla.
4. Gradually add in dry ingredients. Gently fold in the egg whites until combined.
5. Place ½ cup of batter on a preheated waffle iron. Close and bake until done.
6. Serve with sugar-free syrup and butter spray. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, if desired.
Per 1/2 cup batter made into a waffle:
CAL 189; CARB 41g; FAT 1g; SAT FAT 0g; PROT 8g; FIB 6g; SUG 14g
WW Points Plus: 5; WW Smart Points: 7