I’m so excited to announce the winner of my McCormick giveaway from last week. Thank you to all of you who entered, and especially to the winner Rondah!
Rondah’s got some great cooking ahead of her with those delicious McCormick spices, and I thought it was a great day to introduce another new recipe I tried this week.
When the weather gets cold, I tend to crave COMFORT FOOD.
After a chilly, rainy day running errands, the idea of coming home to a slow cooker full of warm bubbly soup was a perfect treat.
This delicious tomato soup is one that you’re going to LOVE. I lightened up the original recipe by using fat free half and half instead of the full fat version, and by changing the roux from being butter-based to using only a small amount of olive oil in its place. I REALLY enjoyed this recipe, and think you will too!
Slow Cooker Parmesan-Tomato Basil Soup
From the Girl Who Ate Everything
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 cup finely diced onions
1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano
1/4 cup fresh basil
4 cups chicken broth
½ bay leaf
½ cup flour
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup chicken broth + 2 Tbsp.
2 cups fat free half and half, warmed (substitute skim milk for less calories)
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.
4. Use an immersion blender to puree the veggies. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a standard blender. Another option if you prefer a chunkier texture is to leave it as is or even blend just some of it. Return blended veggies back to the slow cooker.
3. About 30 minutes before serving prepare the roux. Place the olive oil and chicken broth in a skillet over low heat and add the flour. Stir roux constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Add more broth, as needed to create the roux.
4. Slowly whisk in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth. Add all back into the slow cooker.
5. Stir the roux/soup mixture back into the crockpot and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper.
6. Cover and cook on LOW for another 30 minutes or so until ready to serve. Serve with a garnish of parmesan cheese and/or a Tablespoon of cooked orzo.
Per 1/8 Recipe Serving:
CAL 202; CARB 16g; FAT 8g; SAT FAT 3g; PROT 11g; FIB 3g; SUG 7g
WW Points+: 5; WW Smart Points: 7