Watermelon Gazpacho | No Thanks to Cake
This recipe is a summer staple in my house. Prepare to be addicted to this refreshing, cool summer soup!
- 8 cups seedless watermelon, diced
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
- ¾ tsp. salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
Chop all of your ingredients and place them in a large bowl. Note: This will take some time. I imagine you’ll spend about 45 minutes chopping. You could probably take a shortcut by putting half of the recipe straight into the food processor, but we hand-chopped everything. Because the little Guys were eating it, I didn’t even go there this time.
Place about ½ of the chopped mixture into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
Return the puree to the bowl with the diced mixture and stir.
Chill for at least 1 hour, to allow the flavors to combine before serving. Note: Alecia garnished the soup with fresh basil leaves, which I thought looked fantastic.