Hey, Girl, Hey…
I thought that greeting might catch your attention, considering it’s the trademark greeting of your favorite radio show + the opening line of the book that started this all for you: Girl Wash Your Face.
You purchased a ticket to this women’s conference, full of hope and expecting it to be a life-changing experience… and the timing couldn’t be more impeccable. Not only is it the start of a new year and a new decade, but you’re also kicking off your 43rd year this week, Kelly. There is no better time than now to chase your dreams.
When I think back ten years (a figurative #tenyearchallenge), I don’t know that I would have expected that you’d be here. You’re stronger, more accomplished, and healthier than I ever thought you’d be. Pause in that for a second please. You are stronger, more accomplished, and healthier than I ever thought you’d be.
If that doesn’t make you straighten your posture and cause you to hold your head a little higher, I don’t know what will. You have always been your harshest critic, and I think this new decade is a time when you put that to rest. It’s time to stop worrying about that number on your pants, rehashing whether you said the right thing, and to be done with wondering if you are enough. YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY ENOUGH. I know that you know this logically, but it’s time to really lean into this.
They say that your 40’s are a time when most women stop giving a shit about what other people think about them, and I see that happening inside of you. You’re clinging to old habits just because it feels safe and familiar. Let me assure you, it’s time to change. It’s time to RISE.
I know you’re nervous about attending Rise this week and I’m reminding you: You have no reason to be nervous. This isn’t the first time you’ve been to a personal development conference. You’ve spent time with many greats… Deepak Chopra, Geneen Roth, and even (the queen herself) Elizabeth Gilbert. Think back to your experiences in the past – – previous performance is the greatest predictor of future performance, after all. Just like with these other events, you walked in and met people right away and created new (and lasting) friendships. Making friends and connecting is always easy when you’re surrounded by like-minded people. Again, lean in… you’re going to be fine.
It’s summer in Florida (compared to Colorado, at least). I know this has added some confusion as it relates to your packing strategy… but it’s not about what you’re wearing this week. It’s about what you’re LEARNING. Take layers with you to the event and expect that you may be overdressed (This is also fine.) You’ve planned all you can, and now the rest just needs to unfold.
Now that we’ve talked about the simple things, the distracting things, the things you like to focus on that’s just noise: let’s talk about the elephant in the room. 2020 has to be a year of change. It is beyond time. Whether you point to the tarot card reading from the weekend, the uber driver that talked about change, or the fact that the universe continues to knock you off the path you are on, it’s beyond time. The signs are EVERYWHERE.
I know that calculated change is most comfortable to you, but I challenge you to raise your glance to the beautiful unknown. It may be just the magic that you’re looking for. If we’re honest with one another, I’m hopeful that Rachel and Dave convince you to take a leap in a direction that you’ve never even dreamed of going. And, in my heart of hearts, I feel like you have a knowing that you’re completely ready for this (even if you’re afraid to believe it.)
You’re certainly laying the groundwork for great things in the year ahead, but it’s time to put in the work, devise a plan, and go after it. Stop waiting for it to just happen. Nothing for you has EVER just happened. You’ve worked your ass off for so much in this life, and have reaped the sweet rewards of your success. Now is the time for ACTION, and I can’t even WAIT to celebrate with you as you accomplish your greatest achievements to date.
A few recommendations for you, Kelly, as you head into Rise:
- BE PRESENT. Try to stay in the moment as much as you can. Consider limiting social media so that you can focus on YOUR experience and not the experiences of others
- TAKE NOTES when you hear something that makes your heart sing, but not every word that you hear. Relax this type A tendency…
- CAPTURE pictures and video only of things that mean something to you.
- CONNECT to as many fabulous and radiant folks as you can. You will meet some for moments, and others will be with you for a lifetime – – each connection is valuable!
- FEEL ALL THE FEELS. I know that you’re a little worried about digging into the past. You’re not alone in this (and remember, you packed those tissues for a reason. It will be fine.)
- REFUEL when you need to. You know your introverted self is going to need to recharge. Respect what you need, and don’t worry about FOMO.
- ABOUT THE DANCING. #1: No one is looking at you. #2 Stop obsessing about the dance party that you can’t find a ticket to. You are not a big fan of dancing. Find something else to do that night.
- ENJOY YOUR BIRTHDAY: You are going to have the best time on Friday and it will all unfold in the most lovely way. Enjoy the spontaneity of it all!
May 2020 be YOUR BEST YEAR YET. Also, even if you learn nothing, choose not to leap, and stay the same from here to eternity, you are REMARKABLE and EXQUISITE. But not taking action in 2020 is like letting the most bountiful crop of vegetables die on the vine, like planning an incredible vacation and never getting on the plane. The time is now. I can’t wait to see you RISE.
xoxo – Me