There’s a few blogs out there that I follow religiously, and I’ve been lucky enough to connect with a few of the bloggers via Facebook, Twitter, and email. Hilary from The Big Weight is one of my favorites.
She is a nursing student, a newlywed (who just had an amazing wedding in Jamaica) and she is on a Weight Watchers weight loss journey. The one thing I love about Hil’s blog is that she keeps it real. She shares her recipes and food stories. She shares when she’s struggling. There’s no sugar-coating on TBW or on NTTC… that’s just not how we roll. She was even my inspiration for my very first vlog (video blog) that I posted last week.
Here’s something else that’s TOTALLY cool: I get to meet Hilary in about two weeks at Fitbloggin’! Both fairly new bloggers, we’re taking the plunge and attending our first blogger conference together. I’m so excited to meet her and to have a partner in crime at Fitbloggin (since I’m a little nervous about the whole experience!)
So… if you haven’t stopped by The Big Weight, now is the time. You’re going to definitely want to check her out after you see this recipe I’m featuring today. This is one that Hilary shared… and it is REDONKULOUSLY good!
This recipe is one your man will go crazy for: It has three kinds of meat (seriously!) This was also one of those dishes that I made and when I tasted it… I felt like a super-chef. The flavors come together SO deliciously… it’s a little bite of heaven on your fork.
From The Big Weight
3 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 lb. lean ground turkey
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. hot sauce (like Tabasco)
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 (14 oz) can fire-roasted chopped tomatoes
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
3/4 cup (3 oz) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
2. Add the bacon to a large saute pan over medium-high heat and cook 5-6 minutes, or until slightly crispy. Note: Raw bacon is very weird to cut. I actually used kitchen shears to chop it and it was MUCH easier than trying to use a knife.
3. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and oregano and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until veggies are slightly softened.
4. Next, mix in the ground beef and turkey. Break apart the meat as it cooks for 5-7 minutes, or until browned
5. Add the black pepper, hot sauce, Worcestershire, chopped tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Stir and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Plate 1/2 cup of hot pasta topped and 1/2 cup of the cowboy sauce. Top with shredded cheese. Note: I used a slice of Kraft 2% Sharp Cheddar Cheese Singles instead. Just an easy way to add the cheese. I placed the cheese on top and microwaved the whole dish for 20 seconds.
Per 1/2 cup sauce (not including cheese and pasta):
CAL 158; CARB 9g; FAT 6g; SAT FAT 2g; PROT 17g; FIB 1g; SUG 3g
WW Points+: 4; WW Smart Points: 4