I found this recipe on Pinterest and it made me drool. INSTANTLY.
It has spinach and tomatoes… and has a base similar to that addictive white queso cheese from Mexican restaurants. I did the right thing… I pinned the recipe to a “Dangerously Delicious” board on Pinterest and stepped away from the idea of ever making this mac and cheese. Do you do that too? Pin delicious foods that you’re never (ever) going to make? I totally do…
However, this mac and cheese concoction stuck in my brain. And, I wondered if there was a way to make this dish a little bit healthier. And, I figured out a way!
I’m not going to tell you that this recipe is the same as the original. That it has that creamy gooeyness that comes with that cheese sauce. BUT… what I can tell you is, that for someone who has never tasted the original… I think this is the best darn spinach queso mac and cheese EVER!
Lightened Up Spinach Queso Mac and Cheese
Inspired by Pinterest
2 oz. whole wheat macaroni, cooked
2 Tbsp. diced onion
1 tsp. minced garlic, about 1 clove
1/2 can of Rotel Tomatoes – Original recipe, drained
1 wedge Laughing Cow Cheese – Queso Fresco and Chipotle flavor
1 container Green Giant Just for One Broccoli and Cheese
Dash of Cumin
2 cups spinach
1. Saute your aromatics in a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray for 1-2 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the tray of broccoli and cheese per the package instructions.
3. Add the wedge of Laughing Cow and mix in.
4. Add spinach to the pan, and cook until wilted (about 3 minutes) stirring frequently.
5. Add your tomatoes to the pan. Be sure to drain the Rotel before adding it to the pan. Cook 1-2 minutes and mix well.
6. Add cooked pasta to the pan and the cheesy broccoli mixture.
7. Add a dash of cumin, optional. Stir pasta well, cooking until cheese have combined and melted. Stir often.
8. Move pasta to a bowl, and prepare yourself for a treat!
Per Entire Recipe:
CAL 320; CARB 57g; FAT 5g; PROT 14g; FIB 11g; WW Points Plus: 8