Who doesn’t love appetizers? I love them… but I often struggle with them. I mean, a girl just can’t eat all the chips and dips, sausage balls, and bacon-wrapped dates that she comes across. Even if she wants to!
When I host events and when I get invited to bring something to a party, I always try to make a few guilt-free treats. In the South, it seems like every party has a batch of sausage balls. In the spirit of bringing a lighter version of this snack, I decided to try the spinach version.
Spinach-Cheese Ball Appetizers
Adapted from Betty Crocker
1 box (9 oz.) frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed to drain
1 cup reduced fat Bisquick mix
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 cup marinara sauce (like Super Simple Marinara), optional
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, combine the cheeses, spinach, and baking mix.
3. Add egg, seasonings, and mix until well combined.
4. Shape mixture into balls; place on cookie sheet. Note: I used a 1 Tbsp. scoop to create the balls.
5. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan. Serve with pasta sauce, if desired.
Per 2 ball serving:
CAL 80; CARB 6g; FAT 4g; PROT 5g; FIB 1g; WW Points Plus: 2