Last week, I made the decision to attend the 2013 Health and Fitness Social Media Conference.
Last week, I made the decision to attend the 2013 Health and Fitness Social Media Conference.
On New Year’s Eve, it only makes sense that I pause to reflect on the year and some of the awesome things that happened. I sifted through the 265 posts that I wrote this year to share with you my very favorite “No Thanks to Cake” moments of 2012.
The “little blog that could” grew leaps and bounds during 2012. Here’s a few of the highlights of what happened this year:
Extreme Makeover – Blog Edition: I moved NTTC from Blogger to self-hosted WordPress and worked with a graphic designer on its redesign. This was a fun, yet nerve-wrecking time. How do you choose the design for your blog that makes most sense? How do you design it in a way that will reflect the essence of your message. I think we ended up in a pretty good spot!
Launched Several Regular Features: I launched my first regular feature on the blog called Workout Wednesday (AKA WOW.) The fact that I was working out enough to have content for this was awesome as well. I also started responding to reader email via “Email from Readers” features throughout the year, giving us all a way to interact a little bit more. Both of these features will be getting a fabulous facelift in 2013… and I think you’re going to like it!
Enhanced Social Networking Presence: I’ve become even more connected via social networking this year. This has been HUGE because I feel like it gives me another way to interact (and get to know!) you guys! So fun!
Attended Fitbloggin’: Attending Fitbloggin was one of the pivotal moments of 2012 for me personally and from a blog perspective. I got to meet so many new friends and bloggers through this experience and become a part of a fantastic community of men and women who inspire so many to be healthy every single day.
Won Some Awards (REALLY?): Well, award. NTTC was named amongst the 18 Best Weight Loss Blogs of 2012 by Healthline.com. But, NTTC was also nominated for Best Weight Loss Blog by Fitness Magazine, and featured on Diets in Review for keeping my weight loss resolution. So crazy to think all of this happened this year, too!
I’m going to channel Friends on this one, as I pick the most appropriate categories my favorite posts of 2012. These are just the posts that I liked writing and love going back to read… hopefully, they are a few of your faves too!
The Ones Reminding Me of How Far I’ve Come: These are always some of my faves. Here’s a few to check out that include pictures over the year: 730 Days Later, Reflecting on this Journey and Unexpected Recognition, Independence Day, and Travel Companions.
The Ones Where I Went On and On about Fitbloggin: I love all of my Fitbloggin recaps because it was such a POWERFUL three days in Baltimore, but What I Brought Home from Fitbloggin really is my favorite. I also love the post where I completely geeked out on Zumba.
The Ones Where I Recapped My Best Friend’s Wedding: One of my most emotional pieces of the year, I love the post where I wrote a letter to Angela and Jamie after their wedding weekend. Love you two!
The Ones Where I Talk about My Other BFF Kelly Clarkson: I saw Kelly in concert not once, but TWICE this year! And, yes… you got to hear about the Denver AND Nashville concerts here. Expect more of this in 2013, unless I’m too busy attending to my bridesmaid duties (She is engaged, afterall!)
The Ones Where I Try New Workouts: Can you believe that all of these were new to me this year? Candelight Yoga, Zumba, Pilates and… let’s not forget my introductions to Lululemon and Athleta (love!) where I now shop for my favorite workout gear! I also loved telling you guys about my first Turkey Trot and my first trek up Camelback Mountain.
The One Where There Really Aren’t Words: There have been many moments throughout this journey where I’ve been overwhelmed by kind words. Simply Grateful is one where I describe how it feels, as best I can.
The One Where I Realized How Much I Loved Cooking: I had quite a few awesome cooking moments this year (and MANY new recipe successes at home.) I absolutely LOVED touring McCormick and learning about all of their spices and seasonings and the health benefits they provide. Visiting the Gourmet Spoon Cooking School as part of a team builder for work also topped the list! My at-home wine and cheese party was also incredibly fun to put together and write about!
The One Where I Shot a Video: I can’t believe I did it, but I recorded my very first Vlog (video blog) this year. Click here to see it in all its glory. There may be more of these in the new year (since there’s been some demand)
Wow… to think that all happened in one year! It was an awesome trip down memory lane, for sure. I feel healthier, stronger, more active, and more thankful than ever before.
On this eve of the new year, I encourage you too to think about all the great things that happened in 2012. We will be turning the page to 2013 in just mere hours… Fasten your seatbelt, it’s going to be another amazing year!
What were your favorite NTTC posts of 2012? Which ones stand out as your faves?
Waking up Thursday morning, I was incredibly hesitant about what I’d signed up for. Logically, I knew I would learn a lot at the Fitbloggin conference, but in my head… I was so intimidated!
I always grumble when the alarm clock goes off in the 4 o’clock hour, but it’s even more pesky when I have to leave somewhere I don’t want to leave.
There’s the truth. I didn’t want to go. My brother had offered to drive me to Baltimore on Thursday morning, and I was scared to death. Going from my safest place to a place where I knew no one??? Eeks!
Well, I got up, got dressed and piled into Jason’s car with all my gear by 5am. We arrived in Baltimore at 7, about 5 hours before there would be any conference-related activity. After a quick breakfast with my bro, I checked my luggage with the front desk and parked myself at a little hotel coffee shop to do some computer work for a few hours until the other bloggers showed up.
Luckily, I had made plans to meet up with Hilary from the Big Weight when she got into Baltimore, which was in just a few short hours. Nerves, nerves, nerves!
While we had been reading each others’ blogs for months and tweeting and whatnot for a while… I was still nervous, yet so optimistic that we would hit it off! I felt relief once I saw her bright and beautiful face enter the coffee shop at about 9:30!
Within minutes, I felt like I’d known her forever… and it was the most natural of conversations. There is nothing better than connecting with someone in this fashion… As young women who’ve struggled with our weight for years and have taken upon ourselves to build new habits, we had a TON to talk about. We also had the foundation of our blogs to get us started. It’s a strange instant familiarity… I saw someone tweet that they were already “VBFFs” before they had arrived (Virtual BFFs), and I’d say that to be true with me and Hil!
Also, Hilary eased my nerves by giving me the background on a lot of the attendees, which was also super-helpful! She has read bloggers a LOT longer than I have, so she knew a lot of the back stories that she kindly shared with me! As a result of her recommendations and meeting these fantastic men and women, I have so many new blogs to add to my reading!!!
Over the course of the next few days as I review my time at Fitbloggin, you’ll hear a lot about Hilary. You’ll also see her smiling face in a LOT of pictures. You should probably stop by her blog The Big Weight and check her out. She rocks! (Hint: You might remember Hilary as I recently featured her amazing Cowboy Spaghetti recipe!)
Meeting Hilary made it SO much easier to meet other people at Fitbloggin’, and I got more and more comfortable introducing myself. I have no problem speaking in front of a group of 100 people, but when I need to walk up to new people and network… I FREEZE.
What’s funny to me is that you’d think I’d have more confidence to do that now that I’m thinner and more confident in my outward appearance. Nope. It’s almost as though shedding that “shield” of extra weight has left me more exposed… I also think I let myself get psyched out by the “celebrity” status of many of the attendees.
The amazing part about Fitbloggin’ is that by the end of Day One, I was completely comfortable…. and recognized that these are “MY PEOPLE” and many of them would fit well on “my team.” I didn’t completely freeze at the idea of talking to new folks, as everyone was SOOOO approachable.
Well, there were a few celebs that I was shy to say hello to… but I did it! Here’s a few examples:
I’ll save a few of the other meetings for future posts…The big thing is that I don’t want to miss out on opportunities that are this fantastic because I am nervous. I won’t allow it… and the practice this weekend was AWESOME for me!
Do you get nervous about meeting new people? Have you attended a blogging conference and experienced the same thing?
For this nomination, I can “win” by having the most votes (AKA ‘Likes’). Click on the image above to vote… thanks in advance!!!
In honor of such a fun blog-related week with this new fun nomination + Fitbloggin’, I felt like I just had to complete All the Weigh’s FMM this week! Such a fun topic for all of us going to Fitbloggin’. Thanks, Kenlie!!!
1. Have you ever met anyone through your blog that led to an in-person friendship/relationship? I actually haven’t met anyone through my blog yet… but I am going to meet a lot of folks this week at Fitbloggin’! Including Kenlie at All the Weigh, Hilary at the Big Weight, Gina from Skinnytaste and Ashley at Coffee Cake and Cardio.
2. Most bloggers have a specific niche. What would you discuss if it didn’t seem inappropriate on your blog? I’d like to talk more about my spiritual beliefs. I’m a pretty spiritual chick… and a little bit of that seeps into my blog, but I’d love to write more about how I’m inspired. I hesitate because it’s outside of my niche, and I really don’t want to impose my beliefs on others… not my style.
3. If you could meet three bloggers, who would they be? I will actually have a chance to meet most of my faves this week! Outside of my Fitbloggin folks, I’d like to meet Cely from Running off the Reese’s. She is literally one of the funniest people I’ve ever read. CRACKS. ME. UP. Yes, she’s snarky… and I would have to work to keep up… but that lady rocks!
4. If you had to choose between Facebook or Twitter which one would you choose? I really enjoy them both. I’ve become pretty fond of Twitter as of late… but I get to post more pics on FB. Don’t make me decide!
5. Do you vlog (video blog?) I’ve only done one, and it was just a few weeks ago. Click here to see it, if you’re interested… I’m learning video editing at work, so who knows… maybe I’ll vlog more in the future!
6. How many blogs do you read on an average day? I read quite a few… maybe 10 a day. I find that my blog reader makes it easy for me to catch up if I get behind, so I make it work!
7. What is the coolest thing that you’ve seen online recently? Hmmm…. that’s a tough one. Maybe the recipe for the cake I show you below??
8. If you gave your blog a new name what would it be? Right now, I have no good ideas… I kind of like my name and it’s easy to remember. The only thing that I don’t like about it is people think at times that I’m anti-cake. That is clearly not the case based upon this recent concoction.
9. Have you ever attended a blog conference like Fitbloggin? If not, would you? Fitbloggin’ will be my first! A little nervous (truth be told), but I’m so excited to meet folks and to LEARN….
10. In the past I have asked why you blog. Now I want to know why you read blogs? What do you take from it? I learn SO much from so many people that I read. I gain inspiration. I’m honored that so many people let me into their lives via this unique medium.
If you’re interested in completing FMM this week, click on Kenlie’s blog All the Weigh for all the details.
Hi There! I'm Kelly, and I'm the voice behind NTTC. Here you'll find lots of yummy recipes, weight loss tips, travel stories, and hopefully we'll inspire each other to live the healthiest, BEST life possible! [Read More …]