A few weeks ago I posted my recipe for Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes… and one of you asked if sweet potatoes could be cooked in the same fashion. While I wasn’t sure of the answer, I had to try it!
They came out INCREDIBLE, and served as the inspiration for today’s recipe.
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
2-3 ounces lean ground turkey
2 Tbsp. onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 – 3/4 sweet potato, baked
1/4 cup mixed vegetables, frozen
1 package Mushroom Gravy mix
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Follow this recipe to slow cook the sweet potato, and then remove the potato from the skin. The potato will be soft and mashed. Simply add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Brown your turkey meat in a skillet. Puree cooked turkey in a food processor.
4. Add onions and garlic to the skillet and brown for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the meat back to the pan and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Meanwhile, prepare your gravy per the package instructions. Note: The Mushroom Gravy made a MUCH better shepherd’s pie, but I only had brown gravy on hand this day.
7. Add 1/4 cup of the gravy to the meat mixture. Add the mixture to a sprayed baking pan.
8. Top with frozen veggies.
9. Top with sweet potato, and smooth out with a spatula. Create designs in the potatoes with a fork, if desired.
10. Spray top of casserole lightly with cooking spray and then bake for 30 minutes.
11. Serve, and enjoy!
Per whole recipe serving:
CAL 246; CARB 33g; FAT 1g; PROT 25g; FIB 5g; WW Points Plus: 6