Before we take this post any further… I’ve got some exciting news! These two are officially off the market, and are engaged!!
On a somewhat gloomy morning, Alex surprised Tiffany at Union Station along with a group of her closest friends (from near and far, I might add!) He got down on one knee, expressed his love, and she said… “Of course!” It’s incredible to have a chance to witness something like this. Interestingly, some tourists went ahead and set up their camera and tripod and video’ed the whole thing, too.
Ahhh… Love. So nice to see these two have found each other.
So… after brunch and when Denver skies decided to get remarkably gloomy, I came home and filled my crockpot…. with this.
The challenge I have is that I don’t always have the time it takes to make the traditional recipe, nor the desire to destroy my kitchen during the process. So, this year, I’ve made a few different “easy” varieties. While it still takes a while to cook, the prep time is significantly lower than the traditional, and you still get to enjoy the flavors.
Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Stew
1/2 head cabbage
1 lb. extra lean ground beef
1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 cup diced onion, more if desired
1 can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
1 package turkey smoked sausage, diced
1 can tomato juice
salt and pepper
1. Saute the beef in a skilled until fully cooked.
2. Place beef in a food processor and pulse (optional).
3. Place ground beef in the crockpot, along with the diced smoked sausage.
4. Add onion (extra if desired.)
5. Coarse chop your cabbage and add that next.
6. Add the sauerkraut and the rice, and stir to combine.
7. Add the full canister of tomato juice, and stir once again.
8. Turn on the slow cooker, and cook on low for 8 hours until the stew is done.
9. Once done, dish out 1 cup servings and enjoy!
Per 1 cup serving:
CAL 182; CARB 12g; FAT 7g; PROT 17g; FIB 3g; WW Points Plus: 4