What a beautiful weekend! I love a long weekend, sleeping in, spending time with friends… Memorial Day Weekend did not disappoint (or #MDW, as the kids are calling it.)
On Saturday night, I used my grill for the first time this season cooking up my favorite kabobs for friends, and I haven’t stopped using the grill since. I’ve grilled FOUR times this week so far, with no sign of stopping anytime soon.
Here’s a sad story: My condo HOA is going to be outlawing grills this month. So, I’m getting as much time in with my grill before it finds a new home. After that, I’m thinking I’ll need an electric grill that I can fire up out there – – something that’s safe and approved.
Today, I got a little creative, and honestly, I didn’t even expect this to be a recipe I would share. It was SO SO good, that I had to share.
I just finished this burger maybe 10 minutes ago, and looking at this picture, I’m already hungry for it again! Marinated onions grilled to perfection + charred red cabbage + cool red tomato = an incredibly flavorful burger.
Grilled Veggie-Topped Cheeseburger
red cabbage, grilled
red onion, marinated and grilled
1 package Jenny Craig balsamic vinaigrette
1. In a quart-sized bag, add veggies and dressing. Allow to marinate overnight. I used an orange bell pepper and small red onion.
2. Slice your red cabbage into 6 wedges. Spray lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with basil, salt, and pepper.
3. Skewer your veggies, and place them on grill. Skewering the cabbage will help to make sure that it doesn’t separate. Cook the veggies until done. The cabbage is tough and can stand for a little more time than the onions. Recommend cooking the cabbage for 9 minutes on each side, charring optional and delicious. Keep an eye on the other veggies, turning them and caring for them so as not to burn.
4. Remove the cheese from your burger and set it aside. Cook your burger in the microwave wrapped in a paper towel for 1 minute (inside the bun, per the instructions on the package).
5. Place the burger on the grill for just a few minutes, flipping once and taking care as to not burn it. Add the cheese for about 1-2 minutes until it melts. Remove from the grill.
6. Build your burger with a few pieces of grilled red cabbage on the bottom. Top with your burger. Add grilled onions and tomato slices.
7. Prepare to enjoy this burger! Note: I always add sauce to my burgers. Reduced fat ketchup, mustard, etc. This burger needed NOTHING. So much flavor in those veggies.
Click here to see a full listing of my Jenny Craig Recipe Creations!
Disclaimer: I receive a program discount from Jenny Craig; however, all of the opinions and comments about the program are exclusively my own and do not necessarily represent that of the brand.