Just like that… another cold struck my world. I really have been sick more this past year than I have been in a long time. I’ve been telling myself it’s because I wasn’t eating as healthy as I had in the past and that I wasn’t getting in as many veggies as I need. But, I’m back on track! I’m eating all the veggies!
So, I’m not sure what the heck it is… what I do know is that by the time you read this, I should be on the mend. I mean, I have to be.
When I was not feeling well, I just wanted soup. And, I didn’t want canned soup…. I wanted REAL soup. And, after a crazy few days in Vegas, I wanted the soup to be hearty, yet on plan. And… this, is the result. Um, and it’s incredible.
Not only is it loaded with veggies and spicy goodness, but those are real tortilla strips on top (and some on the bottom of the bowl too!)
Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 package Jenny Craig Chicken Street Tacos
1/2 cup petite diced tomatoes, fire roasted
1 can reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh spinach
1 clove garlic, minced
1-2 Tbsp. sliced red onion
1 tsp. jalapeno, finely minced (optional)
1 to 1 1/2 tsp. taco seasoning
Optional garnish: minced cilantro, sliced cherry tomato, sliced jalapeno
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium saucepan sprayed with cooking spray, saute onions, garlic, and jalapeños for 1-2 minutes on medium heat.
3. Add broth and tomatoes, stirring to combine.
4. Add taco seasoning and stir well. Bring to a simmer.
5. Meanwhile, cook your tacos in the microwave per packaging instructions.
6. Add the chicken and vegetables from the tacos to the soup. Reduce heat to medium low.
7. Stir in spinach.
8. Cut the two inner tortillas into strips. Set the other tortillas aside for now. Use them to make extra chips to enjoy with fresh salsa or topped with cinnamon and stevia for a sweet treat.
9. Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Lightly spray the tops so they crisp up. Bake for 9 minutes, watching them to assure that they don’t burn.
10. Place half of the tortillas at the bottom of a soup bowl, top with the soup.
11. Garnish with remaining tortilla strips, fresh cilantro, tomatoes, and jalapeño. Serve with a lime wedge, for a fresh hit of citrus.
Disclaimer: I receive a program discount from Jenny Craig; however, all of the opinions and comments about the program are exclusively my own and do not necessarily represent that of the brand.