I mentioned on Monday that I’m obsessed with the new Skinnytaste Fast and Slow cookbook. I’ve made so many recipes from it, and my friend Angela and I have been trading reviews back and forth. We haven’t found anything yet that we didn’t love, including this dish!
As soon as winter arrives, my interest in my slow cooker grows. There’s nothing like a warm slow-cooked meal on a cold day. Maybe it’s because I associate crockpot meals with comfort food… which is so perfect for the cool season!
The flavor of the meat is INCREDIBLE in this dish, but I’ll be honest… the start of the show is the rainbow of veggies that top the bowl. The crunch of the cabbage, the tang of the pickled veggies, and the spice from the peppers = perfection! You’re going to love this one!
Slow Cooker Banh Mi Bowls
For the Pork:
1 lb. pork tenderloin
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 jalapeno, sliced
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
For the Pickled Veggies:
6 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup shredded carrots
2 radishes, cut into matchsticks
For the Bowls:
3 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1 cup thinly sliced English cucumbers (about ½ small)
1 small jalapeno, thinly sliced
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1. Combine the garlic, jalapeno, soy sauce and brown sugar and stir to dissolve.
2. Season the pork with salt and pepper and place into the slow cooker. Pour sauce over the pork.
3. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours until the pork is very tender, turning once half way through, if desired. When the pork is ready, shred the meat. Reserve the sauce.
4. While the pork is cooking, make the pickled carrots and radish: In a medium glass bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt and stir until dissolved. Add the carrots and radish and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Drain well and refrigerate until ready to use.
5. To assemble the bowls, place 3/4 cup rice in each bowl, top each with about 2 1/2 oz pork, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the reserved sauce then top with the 1/4 cup shredded cabbage, 1/4 cup spinach, 1/4 cup pickled carrots, 1/4 cup cucumber, sliced jalapenos and cilantro. Bulk up your meal with extra veggies, if desired.
Per 1 Bowl Serving:
CAL 372; FAT 6.5g; SAT FAT 2g; CARBS 48g; PROT 30g; FIB 3.5g; SUG 8g
WW Points+: 9 ; WW Smart Points: 10