I spend a lot of time reflecting on my weight loss journey. There are days where I am still in disbelief that I finally got off my butt and did it… and days where I look in the mirror and fully expect to see a different shape.
I know that there are so many of you who are in a before state… and I really write here at NoThanksToCake.com for you guys. I write because I want you to know that it’s possible. That you too can have it all… so today, I’m talking about things that I love after losing the weight.
Just a few simple pleasures that I never knew were mine for the taking. A few simple pleasures that are well within your grasp.
1. That I did that! – There is a part of me that gets incredibly excited when I pause and consider that I lost this weight. I did it. No one else ate less. No one else logged a million miles on the treadmill. Just me.
When faced with a goal I never thought I’d hit, I tried my best, put a plan in place, and when I fell down seven times, I got up the eighth time and never looked back!
There’s a lot of things in my life that I’m proud of. I’ve had great professional success, academic success. I’ve run fantastic organizations who’ve accomplished a ton, but all of that success pales in comparison to losing 70 lbs.
2. Having New Go-To Meals – This is going to sound crazy, but I LOVE Subway’s Veggie Delite. I eat it probably a few times each week, and I can’t get enough of it. Not only does it satisfy, but I love the fact that the crunch of the cucumbers and the sweet juiciness of the tomatoes literally make me smile. When I fuel my body well, I appreciate it. There was a time, where my regular meal was a Wendy’s #1 combo… I’m so thankful for new choices
3. Fitting politely in an Airplane Seat – As a girl who’s always on the go, this one is important to me. Traveling was always a reminder of my weight, and I hated that I would often impede on my neighbor’s space… and the worst, have that hot (touching a stranger) feeling. Awkward! I love that I’m able to travel now without this even being a consideration.
4. Creating an Additional Network – Regardless of size, I’ve always been blessed with an amazing group of men and women who enrich my life. Truthfully, my family and friends that are truly some of the best people on the planet. Now that I have new interests like healthy cooking, yoga, and wellness, I’ve been able to explore these topics with my long-time friends, and I’ve also had the opportunity to meet so many others on this same journey and connect with them, like these fabulous ladies!!
5. Being Able to Wear Whatever I Want – Ok, I truly can’t wear EVERYTHING, but the idea of being able to only buy things that I feel fabulous in is WONDERFUL. I remember when I was heavier that I would buy things if they fit. They didn’t have to look great, they just had to fit. If something looked great, I bought it in every color. As someone who loves clothes and fashion, a brand-new world has been opened up to me… and while I absolutely know I shop a lot, I’ve earned the right to do so!
6. Knowing that My Body Doesn’t Have to Work as Hard to Do Everyday Tasks – When I weighed 70+ lbs more, I remember how hard it was to get around. I didn’t do much because, well… I didn’t really want to schlep across the mall and don’t even get me started about carrying my heavy suitcase up and down the stairs. I can only imagine how hard my heart and my lungs were working to make all this happen… and I have to believe that they’re relieved now. I know I am.
7. Clearer Skin – I’ve been lucky most of my life to not have too many blemishes, but I can’t tell you the last time I’ve had one. When you hydrate well and fuel on healthy foods, you are so much less likely to break out… and it is a phenomenal side effect! I’ll take this healthy glow any day!
8. Loving Parts of My Body I Never Thought I Would – My body type is most certainly a pear, with all the extra love being on the lower part of my body. My hips and thighs used to be my nemesis, and back then, don’t even get me started on my butt. Now, I have an appreciation that they’re smaller, but they’re never going to be small. I always have booty; it’s not going anywhere. And, amongst friends, I’ll tell ya… I like my shape. So, don’t mine me while I celebrate it!
9. Abundant Energy – When I fuel my body with good food, I feel incredible. And just as noticeable, when I eat poorly, oh how sluggish I feel. I can’t even fathom that I felt that way all the time. Living in a food haze, I’m so glad I found the other side. I also have so much more energy to do all the things I want to do and I’m able to do so much more than I ever imagined!
10. Being Able to Shine – Living a life where the weight was always the issue, I can’t tell you how freeing it has been to put that to rest. And, while I truly believe we should be happy at any size, I wasn’t. I let my weight hold me back… and cast a shadow around me. Now, I truly feel that the world is my oyster… that I can have anything I want in this crazy life. More importantly, I’m going after it.