Because I know that everyone loves red velvet, especially this time of year… I decided to share one more sweet treat before the holiday.
Last year, I tried my first gooey butter cookies (O-M-G!) and I had heard you could make different flavors… so, since it’s Christmas, I decided to make this pretty red version! So incredibly good!
Red Velvet Gooey Butter Cookies
Adapted from this recipe
1 package (8 oz) reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
½ cup butter, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 box red velvet cake mix
confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
1. In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter. Add egg and vanilla.
2. Add cake mix, and mix until well blended.
3. Refrigerate for two hours. Note: The batter will be REALLY creamy when you first blend it. Placing it in the fridge will help it firm up so you can roll it into balls.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Roll into 1-inch balls and roll the balls in the confectioners’ sugar. Note: I love to use a cookie scoop as it keeps things much neater during the rolling process. It also allows your cookies to all be about the same size which helps for even baking and makes them pretty when you wrap them up!
6. Place 1 inch apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Note: I placed my cookies on a Silpat, which cooked them PERFECTLY. Not required, of course, but a nice touch!
7. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Note: My cookies looked awesome after 13 minutes.
8. Move to a wire rack until cooled.
9. Pack these up to share with friends…