Life Lessons: Allow Yourself to Be Challenged

I meet with my life coach every other week now, and I was excited to have a chance to catch up with Betsy late last week.  Betsy specializes in helping people “Find Food Peace” so I knew that she’d be someone great to talk to about my plan of action for the new year.

What I’ve grown to expect from these sessions is that I’m going to get way more than what I’m asking for, and Thursday was no exception.

Life Lessons - Allow Yourself to Be Challenged | No Thanks to Cake

Over time, I’ve realized that I don’t gravitate to the “Yes Sir” kind of people.  You know them, the people that just love everything about you… your hair, your smile, the way your shirt is wrinkled, the way you carry your suitcase.  While I appreciate those people for being kind to me on the regular, those aren’t the people I spend my life with.

If given a choice, I always choose (consciously or subconsciously) the people that cause me to pause and reconsider an opinion, a plan, or a belief.

I’m not always right.  I don’t have all the answers.  And, no, I don’t always have on cute shoes.  Nope.  And, I don’t always have life figured out 100%.  {PS… I never will.}

Life to me is about looking at your current situation, examining why you do what you do, and pausing… assessing… and making a decision to change or to continue your course of action.

Talking with Betsy last week, she caused me to pause.

Right now, I’m at a critical point in my weight loss journey.  I’ve recognized that I’ve gained about 15 pounds, and I’ve established a plan to lose that weight.

Quickly, I put into place my MyFitnessPal practice of tracking calories.  I began getting my happy self to the gym a few times a week.  I’ve already started to see my weight decrease.

What a brilliant plan!  I thought.

And then, I spoke with Betsy.  She and I spent our hour talking about how freeing intuitive eating can be.  We talked about how my body knows when it’s hungry, what it should be eating, and how much it needs for fuel every single day.  We talked about how great it would be to not be logging my food into an app… instead, just to listen to my body.  We even talked about how it is a good idea not to weigh myself every single day.

WHOA!

All of these concepts sound amazing.  Each one of them get me closer to where I want to be with this weight loss journey… and each one of them represent me letting go of the control I’ve executed to lose weight in the past.  Whoa…

My first instinct during this conversation:  TO RESIST.  100% to resist.

Nope Grumpy Cat | No Thanks to Cake

I mean, I only know what’s worked for me in the past.  I don’t have confidence that I can do this new approach.  I don’t know that it will yield results, and in many ways… I’m afraid.

But when I think about it… what she’s describing is EXACTLY what I want my end-game to be.  I don’t want to have to track my food forever.  I don’t want to count calories for a lifetime.  I just want to live.

As I move into this week down 2 lbs following my old track-it and weigh-it philosophy, I’m beginning to adopt some of the philosophies that Betsy talked about.  I’m adopting them in a gentle way… still tracking on MyFitnessPal while simultaneously incorporating some strategies of intuitive eating.

Just three simple things… so it doesn’t seem so scary to me.

Challenging Myself in New Ways | No Thanks to Cake

So far, it’s going well.  As this process continues, I’ll certainly follow-up.

Why did I choose to incorporate these new challenges?  Frankly, why wouldn’t I?  I have support as I do so, and it’s ultimately how I want to live… eating intuitively, rather than deliberately or per plan.

Also, my standard plan isn’t without fault.  If it were, I wouldn’t have gained back the 15+ lbs I’ve been carrying.

So, here I go… adding a little more complexity (or rather simplicity) to the process.  This journey is all about learning, and afterall…

Choose Change | No Thanks to Cake

How do you listen to your body when it comes to weight loss/maintenance?

Comments

1. MizCarla says:

it has taken me a bit but Im FINALLY intuitive.
    in how I eat, workout, and LIVE.

Thank you for sharing, Carla. I’ll look to you for inspiration on this one. It is always nice to hear it can be done! It seems so far out there that I could be one of those people who didn’t have to worry about calorie intake/my weight, but I’m hoping to be one of those people on the other side of this! xoxo

2. Marion says:

Like you Kelly I have no capacity to even entertain intuitiveness and my weight maintenance. I have tried this method in the past and failed miserably. If I was able to master it, I would have and so I resign to tracking because it works and I am okay with it because it makes me conscious about my daily life/activities.

Actually, on the contrary, I do think I have capacity to get there… which is why I’m trying! I think where I’ve failed in the past is just having no plan whatsoever, and just drifting away from tracking and into the arms of indulgence. I’m going to give it a shot, and if it doesn’t work, I’ll probably try again. Seems like a wonderful way to live. I can’t help but try! :)

3. Emily says:

I’m definitely in the camp of “whatever works and brings you joy – go for it!” Intuitive Eating never worked well for me because of my ED, but I deeply respect the principles behind it. It sounds like a fabulous idea to ease into it slowly and build a solid foundation. Excited to see these changes blossom into something awesome for you! :D

Three cheers for choosing change!

4. kathyfitz says:

I say try it and see how it goes is a great idea!
    For me I am more of I have to track it kind of person. Intuitive eating hasn’t worked for me in the past. I have to start to get back on track first before trying it.
    It is where I want to be though!
    Let us know how it works for you!

5. I’m a huge fan of the Intuitive Eating movement and although I’m not certified in it, it’s something I have learned on a personal and a professional level. I’m thrilled to see that your coach is helping you to discover it for yourself in a way that only you can really can.

Like you, I also appreciate the people that make you think. Perhaps that’s why we get along?

PS – The weighing weekly vs daily will be a game changer.

Thanks for leaving a comment. Can I tell you… today is the first day I haven’t weighed since starting this whole non-weighing thing. And, all I want to do is know how I’m doing!! The curiosity is killing me. Keep in mind, I didn’t weigh hardly at all for the last six months, but now that I’m TRYING I just want to know I’m succeeding… oh, this process… the things I learn about good ol’ me.

6. kristine says:

These are some great goals, I really appreciate how much time you put into sharing your healthy life with us :) And I’m glad your life coach is making a difference for you… I’m gonna have to go back and read more about how you found her. Perhaps that would be a good route for me as well.

and yay for “choosing change”!

AWP