Happy Valentine’s Day, My Dears!!!
While I don’t have a man in my life this year, I am still celebrating Valentine’s Day by fussing over the ones I love. I’ve sent my usual valentines from Loveland to friends and family near and far… and I’ve sent presents to my lovey doves in Virginia, especially my gorgeous niece who has a Valentine’s Day birthday and is turning TEN today! Happy Birthday, Hailey!!!
I did happen to find myself a Valentine along the way this year… This handsome devil who fixed his own hair and won a major award at school this week… he said “I guess” when I asked him to be my valentine. That’s a HUGE improvement to last year’s “No, I’m already my mommy’s valentine!” Woo hoo!
Last but not least and in celebration of this lovely holiday, I baked up a storm in my kitchen for my dear, sweet Grandpa. He always gives me an excuse to do a little baking, and this year, the mailman is bringing him quite the treat…
Please be aware: This recipe is an ABSOLUTE splurge, in the best possible way. Proceed at your own risk!
Valentine’s Day M&M Blondies
From Baked Perfection
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup to 1 1/3 cup M&M’s
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
2. Melt 1/3 cup butter.
3. Add 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar and mix well. Cool slightly.
4. Add egg (beaten) and vanilla and blend well. Add flour mixture, a little at a time, mixing well.
5. Mix in 2/3 cup M&M’s.
6. Spray a 9 x 9 x 2 inch pan with Pam for Baking. Note: I decided to experiment this week with parchment paper for the first time. After Googling how to use it, I learned that you cut it to fit your pan with overlap, and that you use two pieces that go each direction. You spray the pan, so that the paper sticks to the pan, and then spray the paper as well so that your treats don’t stick to the paper.
7. Spread the batter in your pan evenly. Sprinkle 1/3 to 2/3 cup M&M’s on top.
8. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
9. Lift the blondies out from the pan to a cooling rack. Cut them into squares, and enjoy!!!
And, these are EVEN better tasting than they look… I think they would really work for any holiday, just but switching out the M&Ms to the appropriate seasonal color. So delish! I’m thinking my Grandpa is going to LOVE these….