I really would have liked to have shared one more recipe using the delicious Popchips tortilla chips that are part of this week’s giveaway. But, my stash of Popchips has vanished! Meaning, that I’ve sadly eaten them all…
If you haven’t entered yet, by the way… click here to enter!
In the absence of my new favorite chip, I was forced to move to a different type of cuisine. Quickly, I found myself craving Mongolian Beef. How better to enjoy Mongolian Beef than with a yummy low-fat, low-calorie version? I can’t think of anything better.
I’ve had a recent obsession with quinoa, so I used quinoa instead of rice in my healthier version of this recipe. When you choose quinoa, get ready for a protein rich and really filling grain. I’ll show you how to make it in the below as well. You’re going to love it!
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
4 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 pound flank steak, trimmed and cut crosswise into thin strips
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoons red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons brown sugar
Toasted sesame seeds
1 cup dry quinoa
1. Measure out your quinoa and place in a strainer. Rinse thoroughly.
2. Place rinsed quinoa and 2 1/4 cups of water in a rice cooker. Note: See rice cooker instruction books to determine cooking time and water proportions. My rice cooker shuts off once the liquid has been absorbed.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add green onions, and cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute.
4. Add beef, and cook 5 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring frequently.
5. While beef cooks, combine water and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl.
6. Pour mixture over beef, cook 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened and beef is cooked through.
7 Garnish with sesame seeds if desired. Serve with 1/2 cup quinoa (optional.)
Per 1 cup serving:
CAL 234, FAT 11g; FIB 0.7g
Note: If you add the quinoa, adjust your nutritional information according to the package labeling. I added 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa in the picture above.