For my long-time readers, you know I like to talk about my grandpa. He’s one of my faves and has played such a special role in my life.
I spent SO much time with he and my Gram when I was young. He went to every dance recital, every band concert, and made me feel so special when I was growing up. He did this for all eight of his grandkids and still does today. We’re all very lucky to have him.
My gram died about 3 years ago now, and he’s been super lonely ever since which just breaks my heart. I hate to think of him being lonely even for a minute!
He recently moved out of his house and now lives in an assisted living where he’s around people, which is so good for him. Over the past few years, his short-term memory has become more and more of a challenge. So, having people close by to help is great.
Being so far away is hard. I try to send him postcards from my travels often (i.e. he got a sparkly Vegas postcard a few weeks back and an awesome Seven Falls card last week), and I try to call inbetween. I love when holidays come up because I always try to send him something fun… for Easter, I found something yummy on Pinterest that I think will travel well.
The good news is this post won’t spoil the surprise for my Gramps. He’s 87 and is not a NTTC reader… nor a user of the internet. Check these yummy treats out!
Easter Pretzel Hugs
1 bag Hershey’s Hugs
1 bag of square shaped pretzels
1 bag of M&M candies (can be any color)
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Arrange as many unbroken pretzels that will fit.
2. Unwrap your Hugs. Note: Try your hardest not to eat them. I ate TWO. One was broken… I had to eat that one.
3. Place Hugs on your pretzels.
4. Bake for 4-7 minutes.
5. Top each hug/pretzel with an M&M, with the M face down.
6. Allow the treats to cool for a few minutes, then place them in the refrigerator to set, about 10 minutes. Place handfuls of the candies in clear plastic bags and tie on colorful ribbons.
7. Optional Step: Place leftovers in the trash so that you are not tempted to eat them.